For many golf aficionados, a vacation isn’t complete without a visit to a few courses. Some fans of the sport plan their entire vacation around the golf opportunities available at their destination. Happily, for golf lovers, there are a number of excellent courses in or near Ocean City and the weather there lends itself to golfing during a large portion of the year, including spring, summer, and fall. Some of the courses are award-winning and many provide scenery that’s only available when you’re golfing near the shore. Give these a try:
- Assateague Greens Golf Course – Located right in Ocean City, this golf course is pretty new – opening in 1995 – and was designed by Victor Birch. This is an “executive length” 9-hole course with a par of 27, making it great for novices and intermediate players or those who only have a few hours to spare.
- Rum Pointe Seaside Course – Located in nearby Berlin, MD, this one was designed by Pete Dye and is a par 72, 18-hole course. Golf Week rated it one of the top 5 in the state. 17 of the holes have a beautiful bay view!
- The Links at Lighthouse Sound – The Lighthouse Sound course in Bishopville is 8 miles from Ocean City and was built in 2000. The setting is simply stunning and Golf Magazine voted it one of the top 10 new facilities during the year it opened. Rates are a little pricey but fall substantially after noon or 1 pm, so consider an afternoon game.
- Bear Trap Dunes Golf Club – This complex in Ocean View, DE boasts three award-winning courses: the Grizzly, the Black Bear, and the Kodiak. All are 9 holes. It takes about 30 minutes to get here from Ocean City but it’s worth the trip if you’re a golf fan. The courses make liberal use of sand dunes, so even though they’re only 9 holes, they can be quite a challenge. Play just one or all three!
- Bay Club – Situated near the Eastern Shore of Maryland and just 8 miles from O.C., Bay Club is home to 2 courses – East and West. Be sure to watch out for the tricky “Paradise Island” green on the East Course and the signature “Devil’s Island” on the other. The latter is designed with a green that slopes into the water and is subject to crosswinds. Be careful!
- Glen Riddle – Also in the town of Berlin, MD, Glen Riddle has two courses – the Man O’War and the War Admiral. Man O’War boasts large greens, double fairways, pot bunkers, sand dunes, and plenty of winds, while War Admiral is rugged and just plain tough. Two distinctively different experiences.
- Ocean City Golf Club – Not really in Ocean City but in Berlin with most of the other courses, this one also has two offerings: Newport Bay and Seaside. The Newport Bay course was recently redesigned and renovated and has been lauded as one of the most beautiful courses in the Mid-Atlantic. The Seaside course is a little more traditional. Play ‘em both!
- Bayside Resort Golf Club – A Jack Nicklaus Signature Course, this award-winning golf course provides breathtaking views of Assawoman Bay and circles through wetlands and woodlands for a unique experience that’s one of the best in the area. Located just west of Fenwick Island, DE, you’ll get a little of everything here, from tree-lined holes to wide-open fairways.
Golf packages are abundantly available from outfitters in the area as well as some area hotels. Check out the possibility of golfing on several of the area courses on your next vacation and combine your days on the links with some great clubhouse dinners, lessons, and other golf-related activities.